We have initiated steps to collate the two wheeler sales numbers and initially standardize on the mentioned principles:
- 1. Get OEM-wise (Make column) and dig brand-wise (Model column) statistics of tha offtake numbers (i.e. dispatches from the 2-wheeler manufacturers to their respective dealers).
- 2. Compare YoY statistics to get a realistic idea on the growth/de-growth as this sector is highly seasonal.
- 3. Highlight the brands launched in past 1 year in yellow to understand the impact these brands have made to their respective OEM’s.
- 4. Divide the segment primarily into 4 categories : Motorcycle, Scooter, Performance & Moped. We understand that the categorization would have been better, but we wanted it to be simple as the brands are plenty (145 models mentioned in the list!).
|February 2015 Sales Figures – Pan India|
– An interesting fact is that only Royal Enfield could post growth in all its models (except for a minimal 2 units gap in Continental GT).
– Also to highlight the importance of price factor in 2-wheelers – Note that in 2015 Street 750 alone sells as many units as all Harley Davidson brands sell combined in 2014.
– Bajaj is still devoid of a product in Scooter segment – while Hero Moto Corp & Honda are successfully milking the segment and supporting respective growth for their overall numbers.
– Activa is just 4811 units short of the best selling brand ‘Splendor’. Don’t be surprised to see Activa overtake splendor sales in coming times.
– Moped still sells 63,435 units and is the 5 best selling two wheeler! That’s how Value-conscious our country is. Also surprising is that no other OEM than TVS has a product in Moped segment.
– 150 cc segment has shown considerable promise – Pulsar brand combinedly sells 44,826 units and is the 7th best selling brand.
A look at the Top 10 selling brands –