Jan’20 has started with a backfoot for the Auto Industry. The overall passenger cars sales declined by -5.3% YoY and majority of the OEMs projected a negative growth. The Industry is currently reeling to liquidate BS-4 stocks and all efforts are aligned in the direction. Maruti has outpaced the Industry and prepared well for this transition – Majority of its products are BS-6 now and the same is evident in their sales figures too. Even though Maruti’s growth was flat; the Auto Major increased its Market Share by hefty 3%! The biggest losers though in terms of Market Share was – Honda Cars & Toyota. This years Budget too was lame and no sops were given to revive the Auto Industry. All eyes now on the Auto Expo for understanding the OEMs readiness in terms of upcoming products and policies.
- Maruti commanded a Market Share of 53.3% basis Jan’20 performance. The automaker is not only fighting hard to retain >50% Market Share; but is also gaining on strongly against competition.
- Hyundai is slowly losing sheen of Venue and numbers are dropping accordingly. The Korean Automaker degrew -8% and lost -0.5% Market Share as well (YoY).
- Mahindra too lost volumes due to the falling numbers of Marazzo & XUV300. Need to have new launches to sustain volumes.
- Kia stunned everyone again by crossing 15k units with a single model! While the Korean OEM’s wholesale was just 4,645 units in Dec’19; the shipments more than tripled in Jan’20. The OEMs effort to rationalize stock in year end has paid off well and both OEM/Dealers would have gained with price increase. The increased shipments would have also helped reduce the waiting period for the model.
- MG is now averaging between 3k-3.5k every month. The Chinese OEM is gung ho with India’s success story and is attracting lot of other Chinese OEMs to go aggressive about entry to the Indian market.
Market Share figures for Jan’20 –