April was a month of many surprises for the Indian Passenger Vehicle Industry – the industry surpassed the growth forecast and grew by a splendid >15% in the first month of FY18! The Industry Leader Maruti Suzuki posted a sales of over 1.44 Lakh units which was its ever highest figure! Maruti again crossed the 50% Market Share and looks even stronger with the New Dzire launch on the cards.
April is generally a dull month for the Industry, but the numbers are surely encouraging. With GST roll out nearing by; it’ll be interesting to see how the market responds in May & June. Also to note that apart from the New Dzire launch there are no big launches scheduled in the next 2 months.
A look at the model-wise Sales for Apr’17:
- Swift was reigned the No.1 Selling car in Apr’17. It outsold the leader Alto by quite a margin and grew hefty 52% over same period last year.
- With the Gujarat Plant seems to gain pace, Baleno numbers have grown strongly in the past few months. It did a staggering >17k units in Apr’17 and has surely eased the waiting period for the model. The RS variant also looks to have added volumes to the model.
- Hyundai i20 sold more than the recently refreshed Grand i10. It again shows how value conscious the Indian consumer is and would not shy to pay a premium for the car it loves!
- Apart from Maruti & Hyundai; no other OEM could find a place in the TOP 10 table! Renault’s Kwid was pushed to No.11 as well.
- 10 out of Top 15 selling cars were from Maruti Suzuki! This shows how well the Indo-Japanese company has evolved itself, just look at the cars which have topped the numbers – Swift (No.1 Hatch), Baleno (No.1 Premium Hatch), Vitara Brezza (No.1 Compact SUV), Dzire (No.1 Compact Sedan), Omni (No.1 Van), Ciaz (No.1 Sedan), Ertiga (No.1 MUV). You name a segment and you’ll find a Maruti product there.
- Hyundai is now heavily dependent on 3 models (i20, Grand i10 & Creta). While the competition is getting tough, the performance of these 3 models will define Hyundai’s volumes for that particular month (In Apr’17, ~34k units were contributed by these 3 models). Hyundai needs a fresh model to strengthen its hold.
- Mahindra is struggling hard to maintain its numbers. In Apr’17, Fortuner sold more than XUV500! Also the new kids (TUV & KUV) sales have dwindled over time. The perception of quality and service has surely effected the brand and it needs to do something new to bounce back. See how Mahindra’s Market Share has eroded in UV’s:
- Honda has posted a good YoY Growth (38% to be precise) backed by the volumes from the new models (City Refresh & WRV). However, Ciaz outsold the City in Apr’17 and the fight is going to get more tougher for Honda as Ciaz moves to Nexa. WRV has garnered positive reviews for the heavy feature list it is offering at the price. However, it needs to fight the mighty Brezza & settled Ecosport for volumes.
- Toyota continues its dream run with its blockbuster models (Innova & Fortuner). It is still a mystery on how Toyota still manages to do it (mystery can be decoded as the perception of Quality, Durability & Reliability of Toyota products with Indian buyers 🙂 )
Top 25 selling cars of Apr’17 –
Top Selling Hatchbacks (entry & mid level) –
Top Selling Premium Hatches –
Top Selling Compact Sedans –
Top Selling Sedans –
Top Selling Compact SUVs –
Top Selling MUVs –
Top Selling SUVs –