Sedans have got sudden attention in the recent time and a lot of promising launches happened in the past 2 months (from the Japs – Honda & Toyota). The 3-box car was an erstwhile favorite for the Indian consumers, but the SUV onslaught had slowed down its pace. However, the OEMs have not given up yet on the segment and the consumers are responding positively too for the new models. Let’s see how the models fared in the Compact Sedan & Sedan category –
- The No.1 selling car in India comes from this segment. The Desirability of Maruti’s Dzire is now unparalleled and the car registered a sales of impressive ~25k units in June!
- Honda’s earnest effort has found good numbers of takers in the Indian Market and the Amaze has taken everyone by surprise with the volume garnered in the first 2 months of its launch. It registered an offtake of >9.1k units and it alone contributed to ~52% of Honda Cars sales in India for June’18!
- Other models fared average and it clearly shows that the competition now shall be between Dzire v/s Amaze.
- It is a roller-coaster ride for the models in this segment as the competition is the most fierce here. No one model has emerged as a clear winner in this category in 2018 & with Yaris the game has gone even tougher.
- However, Verna emerged as the No.1 seller in the segment and it did close to ~4k units. It was just 19 units more than the next-best selling City.
- Yaris is now showing initial signs of struggle and the sales have already dropped to <2k mark. Toyota needs to act fast to capitalize on the initial launch fanfare.
- Ciaz sales sloped down to 1579 units in June’18 – It was particularly due to the upcoming Ciaz facelift. Nexa Ciaz is now gearing up to become a more formidable offering in the category.