September’19 was the onset of festive season and had two major festivals in the month. While Kerala celebrated Onam; Ganesha Chaturthi was celebrated in parts of the country. What we understand that the Retail Sales (sales from dealership to end customer) was better than Aug’19 and was a sigh of relief for the industry. However; Wholesale Figures (dispatches from OEM to dealerships) was still dismal and fell a hefty -22.9% in Sep’19 v/s Sep’18.
- Maruti’s volumes fell by -27.1% vis-a-vis the industry drop of -22.9%. The Market Share too fell by -2.9% and was fueled by drop in Arena models.
- Hyundai’s drop was lesser than the industry’s and thus it was able to gain 1.7% Market Share. Venue has been a critical addition in Hyundai’s portfolio and was a savior of sorts for this year.
- Mahindra has made a big announcement by joining hands with Ford India. The JV will allow access to Ford India’s plants and also enable the companies to joint product development which could be specific to the local market. The combined Market Share (M&M + Ford) was 8.8% and the companies are planning big to elevate it.
- Renault overtakes Kia in terms of volumes & market share. The launch of Triber has really helped Renault India to regain volumes in the sub-continent and the updated Kwid will strengthen the purpose.
- Kia sold 7,754 units of Seltos in Sep’19 and the volumes are growing for the model in every passing month. Kia is also expanding its production capacity to near 10k volumes per month and with that it shall come in the leagues of Tata/Honda/Toyota.
- MG has made some real progress in terms of increasing its production capacity. The offtake of Hector for Sep’19 was 2,608 units and it outsold all VW models combined!
Market Share figures for Sep’19 –