We have been trying to understand the state-wise car sales statistics and were able to cover since FY17 extensively. As shared earlier in our posts, the vast diversity of the sub-continent is evident in the car sales and the Market Share varies surprisingly as well. Yes, you read it right! This time we have gone a step ahead and tried to cover the market reach data for top 2 OEMs. Before jumping on to the numbers, would like to explain the complexity of our market and want to highlight these points –
- India has 33 states (as per the consideration here & includes the Union Territories such as Pondicherry, etc)
- Maharashtra alone contributes to ~10% of national volumes!
- East Zone has highest number of states (13), but volume contribution is the least in 4 Zones
- In terms of land area, Rajasthan stands No. 1 in India (source). However in terms of Passenger Vehicle (PV) sales, it Ranks 9th! Trivia – Rajasthan is bigger than Oman in terms of area!
- In Q1 FY19, Mizoram has witnessed the highest YoY growth (70%) in India!
- Passenger Car industry has grown a healthy 19.92% in Q1 FY19 v/s Q1 FY18! East Zone grew the highest at 27%
Statewise Passenger Cars Sales Data for Apr’18-June’18 (Q1) –
- The Zones have been ranked as per volumes. West is ranked 1 and is just marginally (2944 units) ahead from North Zone which is ranked 2nd!
- In Every Zone, the States have been sorted as per their volumes. Ex: Kerala is the first state in South Zone (as it has the highest volume in the Zone for Q1)
- Industry Comparison with the same period Last Year done as well to understand the state’s and region’s performance. YoY growth of those states has been highlighted whose growth was lower than their respective average. Ex: Tripura grew 26% and is highlighted in red as the growth was lower than East Zone’s YoY growth rate of 27%.
Ranking of States basis volumes:
- The 33 states have been ranked as per H1 volumes
- Every state’s contribution to All India volumes have been calculated as well
- Top 10 states contributed to ~70% of the national volumes. And Top 5 states contributed to ~42% of National Volumes. This is also an excellent indicator of statewise variance in terms of car sales.
- Maruti + Hyundai contributes to 68.36% of passenger vehicle sales in India. Maruti alone contributes to 52.6% of passenger vehicle sales!
- In Jammu & Kashmir, Maruti + Hyundai’s Market Share was a mind boggling 83%.
- In terms of Zone-wise presence – Maruti has the least market share in East Zone & Hyundai has the lowest Market Share in South Zone!
- Hyundai has single digit Market Shares only in 2 markets – Nagaland & Andaman!