The total two-wheeler exports including motorcycles, scooters and mopeds, reached 35,20,376 units in FY2019-20, as against the 32,80,841 units exported FY2018-19.
Amidst slowdown in domestic sales, India’s two-wheeler exports have recently witnessed over 7 percent growth in financial year 2019-20 (link). Do note that, in the domestic market, the total two-wheeler sales went down by 17.7 per cent in FY2020 at 1,74,17,616 units, from 2,11,79,847 units sold during the same period last year. Recovery in markets such as Africa and Latin America has helped two-wheeler manufacturers pump up their exports from India.
Top 25 Two Wheelers contributed to over 88% of two wheelers exported from India! Majority of the Two Wheeler exports from India is Motorcycles – 21 out of Top 25 exported Two Wheelers are Motorcycles.
- Bajaj Auto topped the two wheelers exporter list and it exported 18,69,220 motorcycles in FY2020. Bajaj commands a market share of over 53% in terms of Two Wheeler Exports. Bajaj exports its bikes to over 70 countries and last year dispatched around 40 per cent of its total production to Africa, Latin America and Middle East markets.
- Bajaj Boxer was the largest exported two wheeler in FY20. 1 out of 3 two wheelers exported from India was a Boxer! Bajaj’s Boxer has a huge demand in African & Latin American countries. Bajaj is also the market leader in many of the African two-wheeler markets and commands a price premium too over the competition!
- TVS Motor Company is the second largest two-wheeler export manufacturer from India and one among the top ten in the world exporting to more than 60 countries. It exports to Asia Pacific countries (Afghanistan, Bahrain, Bangladesh, Cambodia, Indonesia, Iran, Iraq, Kuwait, Myanmar, Nepal, Philippines, India, Sri Lanka, UAE, Yemen); Europe (Turkey); Africa (Benin, Burkina-Faso, Burundi, Comoros, Central African Republic, Congo, Djibouti, Ethiopia, Gambia, Guinea Bissau, Ghana, Mozambique, Guinea, Ivory-Coast, Kenya, Liberia, Malawi, Mali,Mauritius, Niger, Nigeria, Seychelles, Senegal, Sierra-Leone, Tanzania, Togo, Uganda,Zambia) and Latin America (Colombia, Costa-Rica, Dominican-Republic, Ecuador, Honduras, Mexico, Nicaragua, Peru). Source
- TVS Star City was second most exported motorcycle in FY2020. TVS exported over 4.1 Lakh units of Star City and grew a healthy 26% YoY.
- Honda Dio was the only scooter in the Top 10 exported two wheelers. Honda exported over 1.19 Lakh units of Dio; but faced a YoY degrowth of -29%.
- FZ was the highest exported Yamaha for FY2019-20. Yamaha exported over 1 Lakh FZ’s in FY2020.
- Since the launch of Continental twins, Royal Enfield has become more of a focused exporter. The company believes that there are many markets with decent demand for a mid-sized motorcycle and have started aggressively venturing into them. The Chennai based motorcycle manufacturer exported 19,597 units in FY2020. Royal Enfield exports to over 50 countries with top markets being Colombia, Indonesia and Thailand.