We shall cover the Compact SUV sales for FY2020 in the South & East Zone in this post. South Zone was the third largest zone in terms of Compact SUV Sales in FY2020. It contributed near to 25% of the sales of Compact SUVs sold in India. The States / UTs considered in the South Zone are – Karnataka, Telangana, Kerala, Tamil Nadu, Andhra Pradesh & Pondicherry. The Statewise contribution to the Zonal volumes is as highlighted –
- Karnataka was the No.1 state in terms of C-SUV sales for FY2020. ~24k Compact SUVs were sold in Karnataka in the previous fiscal and became the top state by a huge margin from second in line Telangana.
- Telangana too was impressive in Compact SUV sales and outdid Kerala which was the No.1 state in terms of Hatchback Sales for FY2020 (Source).
- Kerala & Tamil Nadu both sold ~16k Compact SUVs in FY2020 and ranked 3rd & 4th respectively in terms of volumes for the South Zone.
- Andhra Pradesh could manage to sell 9,659 units of C-SUV’s in FY2020 and ranked 5th. Pondicherry/Puducherry being a UT ranked last in the table.
Let us now look at the South Zone Statewise & Modelwise Compact SUV Sales/Market Share for FY2020 –
- Hyundai’s Venue was the best selling Compact SUV for FY2020 in states like Karnataka & Tamil Nadu. Venue outsold the Brezza by a comfortable margin in both the states. However; Hyundai Venue garnered its best Market Share in Tamil Nadu.
- Brezza had a clear lead in markets like Telangana and Andhra Pradesh. It registered its highest market share of 49% in Telangana.
- Tata Nexon was the best selling Compact SUV in Kerala! It managed to outsell the likes of Brezza & Venue in the state. It also recorded its highest market share in Kerala for FY2020.
- Ford’s Ecosport fared well in Pondicherry & Kerala where the market share was 18% & 16% respectively.
We now present the Top 20 cities in South Zone for Compact SUV Sales in the FY2020 –
- Hyderabad was the No.1 City in South India in terms of Compact SUV sales for FY2020! It managed to oust Bangalore to gain the top spot. Hyderabad’s love for SUVs is clearly visible.
- Bangalore came in second in the ranking table. However; models like Venue, Nexon, Ecosport & XUV300 registered their best sales figure in South in Bangalore! Bangalore’s customers sure have better acceptance for these models.
- Chennai was a distant third and could manage to sell 6,889 units of Compact SUVs in FY2020. Chennai’s liking for Honda’s WRV was visible and the model recorded its best sales figure in the city.
- Kerala’s Cochin (Kochi) & Calicut (Kozhikode) fared in the Top 5 cities. Do note that Tata Nexon was the best selling Compact SUV in both the cities for FY2020.
- Notable sales seen in Coimbatore, Vijayawada, Vizag & Trivandrum.
East Zone was the fourth largest zone in terms of Compact SUV Sales in FY2020. It contributed near to 10% of the sales of Compact SUVs sold in India. The States / UTs considered in the South Zone are – West Bengal, Assam, Bihar, Orissa, Jharkhand, Manipur, Arunachal Pradesh, Nagaland, Mizoram, Meghalaya, Sikkim, Andaman and Tripura. The Statewise contribution to the Zonal volumes is as highlighted –
- West Bengal was the No.1 State in terms of C-SUV sales in East Zone and around 7,128 units were sold in FY2020. For comparison purpose – Chennai as a city alone sold almost equivalent amount of C-SUVs that West Bengal all cities sold combined!
- Assam ranked second with sale of over 6.4k C-SUVs in the previous fiscal. Bihar & Orissa followed at third and fourth rank respectively.
Let us now look at the East Zone Statewise & Modelwise Compact SUV Sales/Market Share for FY2020 –
- Hyundai’s Venue had a stellar acceptance in the Eastern part of the country and outsold the Brezza by almost 2 times! While Venue commanded a Market Share of 32% in the East Zone; Brezza could rake in just 15% Market Share!
- Mahindra too had a splendid performance in this part of the country. XUV300 outsold the likes of Nexon & Ecosport and recorded a Market Share of 18%. Mahindra’s best markets in terms of Market Share were Manipur & Tripura.
- Honda recorded significant market share in Andaman & Nicobar where the model outsold the likes of Brezza & Nexon!
We now present the Top 20 cities in East Zone for Compact SUV Sales in the FY2020 –
- Kolkata was the No.1 city in terms of C-SUV sales in FY2020 for the Eastern Zone. Models like Ecosport, XUV300 and WR-V sold better than the likes of Brezza & Nexon in Kolkata.
- Guwahati ranked second and over 2.6k C-SUVs were sold in the city in FY2020.
- Bhubaneshwar from Orissa and Patna from Bihar ranked third and fourth respectively.
- Notable sales registered in cities like Ranchi, Siliguri, Jamshedpur & Imphal.