Three Wheelers as a category recorded the highest YoY decline in July 2020. The sales dipped a hefty -74.3% in July’20 v/s July’10. As per the FADA report; only 15,132 three wheelers were sold in July’20 against 58,940 units sold in July’19.
OEM wise Three Wheelers Sales / Registration Figures –
- Bajaj Auto maintained its Numero Uno spot. However; it registered a fall of -80.1% YoY and its market share declined too by -10.7%.
- Piaggio YoY sales fell by -72.8% and it could sell only 3,075 units in July 2020. It anyhow recorded a Market Share increase of 1.2%.
- Do note that ‘Others including EV’ had the lowest YoY decline and also the highest Market Share increase (15.8%). We expect that the EV’s are rapidly catching up in the 3W space and is reflecting accordingly in the sales volumes.
Statewise Three Wheeler Sales Statistics –
- Uttar Pradesh was the No.1 state in terms of 3 wheeler sales too! Around 3,084 units of 3 wheelers were sold in UP alone – which is over 20% of the nation’s 3W sales volumes!
- UP’s neighboring state Bihar came in a close second and 2,327 three wheelers were sold in July 2020.
- Maharashtra ranked third with sales of 1,506 units. The YoY decline was a mammoth -81.2%.
- With West Bengal ranked fourth and Assam fifth; 3W is the only automobile category with 3 Eastern states in the Top 5! Also note that the Top 5 states contributed to over 58% of three wheeler sales in India!
- The statistics are referred from FADA (Federation of Automobile Dealers Associations) July’20 Vehicle Registration Data. FADA Institute of Automobile Marketing & Research has compiled the data accordingly.
- The above numbers do not have figures from AP, AN, MP, LD & TS as all these States/UT’s are not yet on Vahan 4.
- Vehicle Registration Data has been collated as on 07.08.20 and in collaboration with Ministry of Road Transport & Highways, Government of India and has been gathered from 1,235 out of 1,445 RTOs.