Two Wheeler Registrations saw a dip of -28.7% in Aug’20 v/s Aug’19. Around 8.98 L two wheelers were sold in India for Aug 2020 v/s sales of 12.6 L units in Aug 2019.
OEM wise Two Wheeler Retails / Registrations for August 2020 –
- All OEMs reported a sales decline in August 2020. However; Hero Motocorp bucked the trend and recorded a lower degrowth which helped it increase its Market Share by 5.1%.
- The gap between Honda & Hero is widening with every passing month. With heavy dependency on scooters; Honda is losing the race as the rural markets are preferring motorcycles. Honda registered the highest market share fall in August 2020.
- TVS ranked third in the list and its sales fell by -26.6% YoY. The OEM also lost -0.9% Market Share.
- We are happy to see Jawa Motorcycles volumes being reported here. Jawa sold 1,353 units and its sales fell by -5.9% in Aug 2020 v/s Aug 2019. Going by the volumes; Jawa has a long way to go to give real competition to Royal Enfield. RE sales were over 25 times that of Jawa in Aug 2020!
- Another trend to note is the EV sales – The EV Two Wheelers grew by 12.5% in Aug’20 v/s Aug’19. The acceptance of EVs is slowly gaining and is reflecting in the volumes. However; the overall share is still way below expected levels.
- Also awaited is Government’s reduction on GST for Two Wheelers. It is surely going to give the required push to the 2W sales and induce demand.
1- The above numbers do not have figures from AP, AN, MP, LD & TS as all these States/UT’s are not yet on Vahan 4.
2- Vehicle Registration Data has been collated as on 07.09.20 and in collaboration with Ministry of Road Transport & Highways, Government of India and has been gathered from 1,242 out of 1,450 RTOs.