- The Pre-Budget month grew a healthy 14% in Jan’17 vis-a-vis Jan’16. The growth was attributed by the factors of heavy discounting of 2016 models by the OEMs and was particularly led by Maruti Suzuki. The Indo-Japanese car maker crossed the 50% Market Share in Jan’17 and started the year with a bang. Also Jan’17 marked the launch of 2 crucial products to their respective OEMs – Ignis for Nexa & Hexa for Tata.
- Hyundai too registered a steady growth of over 10% but was way lower than that of the market leader. However, Feb’17 can bring more excitement to the Korean MNC – the new Grand i10 launch is slated this month.
- Honda however recovered the Fourth Spot in the rankings table. Though the OEM has de-grown 9% YoY; it has grown ~55% when compared to Dec’16! The upcoming City facelift in Feb’17 can improve the game for Honda.
- Hexa dispatches would have started in Jan’17 and the same is clearly seen in Tata’s numbers. The company has seen steady numbers now and Hexa’s success will define Tata’s 2017!
- Luxury Brands have now encountered their worst phase in India. The effects of Demonetization seems to have lingered and not a single luxury brand registered growth in Jan.