Two Wheeler Industry registered its steepest fall of FY19 in Mar’19 and recorded a de-growth of -17.3%! The effort of OEMs to rationalize the dealership stock was clearly visible. The Industry was also marred lower consumer sentiment, increased insurance premium and shrinking ‘scooter’ segment. As a matter of fact, the scooter sales declined for the first time in the last one decade! The decline in scooter sales largely affected Honda’s sales and the YoY drop for the Japanese major was -47%!
A look at YoY Growth of the Two Wheeler OEMs and the Industry –
- The Top 3 OEMs recorded a fall in terms of YoY sales!
- TVS overtook Honda’s volumes in Mar’19. This was nothing less of a shocker and no one would have anticipated that Honda’s volume could drop to this extent!
- Bajaj, Yamaha & Suzuki reported a positive YoY growth. Bajaj was the most successful mass market bike maker in FY19 and Mar’19 too was a positive month for the Indian OEM.
- Suzuki overtook Royal Enfield in Mar’19! Royal Enfield is continuously experiencing drop in the volumes and FY19 has been an extremely tough year. RE was the 5th biggest Two Wheeler OEM in Mar’18 – It’s ranked dropped to 7th in Mar’19!
- Mahindra 2 Wheelers sales dropped -51.2%! Have they still not started shipping the Jawa bikes in full swing? The delay is just adding to the owes of the customers who’d have booked the Jawa.