After a disastrous Zero Wholesales in April 2020; Indian Auto Industry registered a massive YoY degrowth of -84.5% in May 2020!
Only 36,576 Passenger Cars were dispatched from OEMs to their respective dealers in the month of May 2020 v/s 2,36,533 cars in May 2019. The OEMs and dealers resumed operations in a staggered manner in May’20 and the lockdown effect was clearly visible in the last month sales figures. Thankfully these are Dispatch data and what we understand that the retail figures were significantly higher. The automobile dealers were carrying huge inventory levels and the dispatches were minimized by OEMs to support dealers rationalize their stocks. Hence the figures wouldn’t present a clear picture on the sales statistics for the respective OEMs/model.
- Maruti Suzuki India dispatched 13,702 units to its respective dealers in May’20. It registered a YoY fall of -88.7% and also lost -13.7% Market Share!
- Hyundai too registered a YoY drop of -83.8% even with the All New Creta. However; its market share increased by a meager 0.8%
- Mahindra regained its No.3 spot with a dispatch statistics of 3,745 units. The OEM has streamlined the production of its BS6 portfolio in May’20 and adequate stocks have been billed to the respective dealers. It was also successful to get a double digit market share of 10.2% in May 2020.
- Tata stood fourth and gained a Market Share of 4% in May’20. The YoY degrowth was however -71.1%.
- Renault ranked Fifth and over 1.7k units were dispatched in May’20. It also gained 2.3% Market Share YoY.
- Kia Motors India was able to occupy the sixth slot with dispatch of 1,661 units of Seltos & Carnival. May’20 Market Share for Kia was 4.5%.
Market Share Graph for May’20 –