While the domestic market is facing a downturn; Two Wheeler manufacturers have shifted the focus on exports. The exports crossed 3 Lakh units in January 2020 and grew a healthy 23% v/s Jan’19. The Indian OEMs like Bajaj & TCS in particular have been extremely aggressive in exports and 7 out of Top 10 models are from the Indian OEMs. Strong demand of Made-in-India motorcycles from markets like Bangaladesh, Africa & Latin America has led to increased volumes of exports from the Indian bike makers. India ranks 4th in terms of highest dollar value worth of motorcycle Exports – Around motorcycles worth $2.1 billion were exported from Indian in 2018!
Top 20 Exported Two Wheelers in January 2020 –
- Over 1.16L units of Boxer 100c+150cc were exported in January 2020! And do note that the model is not even on sale in the domestic market. Brand Boxer alone contributes to >38% of Two Wheeler exports from India!
- The highest exported marque from TVS Two Wheelers is Star City. TVS exports its motorcycles to over 50 countries (includes many African, Asian and Latin American countries).
- Among Japanese Brands; Dio was the only model to cross 10k exports volume. It was also Honda’s only model to fare in the Top 10 exported models.
- The Top 10 exported models contribute to >70% of overall Two Wheeler exports!
- Also >82% of the Two Wheeler exports come from he Top 20 exported models!