Aug’17 market the beginning of the festive season and also the second month of the post-GST era. We celebrated 2 big festivals in August – Janmashtami & Ganesha Chaturthi. The aforementioned factors helped the industry grow an impressive 13% YoY and the overall Industry Sales was ~3 Lakh units! The fear of the price in Sep’17 increase also pushed customers prepone their purchase.
The biggest launch in Aug’17 was the New Verna from Hyundai and bought the much required volumes for the Korean Automaker. It was also the second month of FCA’s Jeep – It was heartily accepted by consumers and was able to garner >10,000 bookings in a short span of time. It reflected in Fiat’s numbers as well – The stellar growth momentum continued and the OEM grew by 247% YoY!
Let’s look at the modelwise analysis here:
- The best thing about Maruti is that they compete with themselves! While, the Market Leader grew 26% YoY; the growth compared to July’17 was -1%. It was able to repeatedly post >1.5 Lakh sale for the second consecutive month.
- It is no surprise that Dzire tops the Best Seller list! The compact sedan sold over 30k units and overtook the No.2 (Alto) by a huge margin. Just to signify the volumes of Dzire – It outsold the overall sales of Honda & Toyota in India for Aug’17 (Honda @ 17,365 + Toyota @ 12,017 = 29,382). The success of Dzire is still a mystery the other OEMs are unable to crack. While, the latest other entrant (Tigor) is not doing that well – Dzire’s numbers are a matter of envy for all.
- Baleno single-handedly made Nexa a profitable venture for Maruti Suzuki. The other models in the portfolio (Ignis, S-Cross) are yet to perform as per Maruti’s aspirations. However, the New S-Cross is slated to launch in Sep’17 (right time to launch in the festivity). Also Ciaz’s addition in the portfolio is reaping results to the Nexa Brand.
- Hyundai was consistently struggling ~42k-43k figures and was in desperate requirement of a volume puller. And there it launches the Verna. The New Verna has been launched at a very attractive price and has been loaded with segment best features. But the Sedan lacks space and the brand will also need to out-perform the already proven City & Ciaz. It is going to be a very interesting competition and we expect the overall segment to grow steadily. The trend is already visible in Aug’17 performance – All Models in Sedan segment showed positive YoY growth.
- Honda finally seems to have launched a product which could sustain the initial Euphoria and gradually enhance the volumes. The WRV has surely brought in the Wow factor for the Japanese OEM and has helped Honda grow 25% YoY. The City Facelift has also helped Honda push the volumes.
- Tiago & Hexa were the notable performers in Aug’17 for Tata. While Tiago continued with the incremental volume game; Hexa’s numbers was a pleasant surprise for us. Hexa posted its all-time highest sale in Aug’17 and was the second consecutive month where it has sold >1,500 units! It is indeed a positive sign for the brand and shows slow yet steady acceptance of the model in the market.
- Toyota is one company which is extremely irate due to frequent policy changes. And Yes, Toyota’s response is understandable. While the Government has proposed to increase the cess in luxury cars in Sep’17; the OEM wouldn’t have been more confused! Innova & Fortuner are yet again under the radar and the best performers of Toyota’s stable will bound to take the hit.
Look at Top 25 selling models of August 2017 –
Top Selling Hatchbacks (entry & mid level) –
Top Selling Premium Hatches –
Top Selling Compact Sedans –
Top Selling Sedans –
Top Selling Compact SUVs –
Top Selling MUVs –