Maruti Suzuki sold 8,63,874 units in India between Apr-Dec'20 and 10.7% of the volumes was contributed from CNG models!
Maruti sold a staggering 92,270 factory-fitted CNG models between April to December 2020. The CNG sales of Maruti was higher than overall sales of Ford + MG + Skoda + Jeep + Nissan combined in the said timeframe!
· Maruti is still trying hard to upgrade in-house developed 1.5L BS4 diesel for SUV/MUV portfolio.
· In the meantime, they have completely moved to petrol portfolio.
· Interestingly, the approach has little difference, as they tried to substitute diesel with factory-fitted CNG kit (dual fuel).
· Absence of diesel has drastically impacted sales of Dzire, as 41% of sales in 2019 came from diesel engine
· CNG version is not adequate to cover fleet (Dzire tour) market demand of diesel
· They lost 38% volume in 2020, it is still huge, even after discounting pandemic effect (-17% average)