Around 1.96 Lakh Passenger Vehicles were sold in September 2020 v/s 1.78 Lakh units in September 2019. Passenger Vehicle Registrations topped in Maharashtra and was followed by UP & Kerala.
As per vehicle registration data published by the FADA, car sales registered positive YoY growth of 9.8% in September 2020. As compared to 1,78,189 units sold in September last year; 1,95,665 units were sold in Sep’20. Commenting on how the month performed, FADA President, Mr. Vinkesh Gulati said, “With the Government’s persistent effort to unlock India, the month of September continued to witness Automobile Registrations on a rise as compared to previous months. Passenger Vehicles for the first time saw positive growth coming back on YoY basis. With social distancing on customer’s mind coupled with government’s push to further normalise business conditions and banks becoming more considerate to finance vehicles, entry level passenger vehicles saw good demand thus indicating a preference for personal transportation over public. New Launches & Vehicle availability played their part as catalyst. A lower base during last FY also helped the cause.”
Passenger Vehicles after 6 months of consistent YoY decline registered growth in Sep’20. Entry level Passenger Vehicles were in high demand as personal mobility is being preferred with current pandemic showing no signs of reduction.
OEM’s are dispatching vehicles to Dealers with a purpose of stocking-up inventory for the upcoming festival season. The month of October & November brings with itself the much awaited festival season of Navratri, Durga Puja & Diwali. With Banks and NBFCs also gearing up with various festival offers to woo retail customers, Auto Sales is expected to witness a renewed growth and may close at par with last year. Passenger vehicles and two wheelers are anticipated to lead the way.
The Top 10 states in terms of Car Sales for Sep 2020 is as shown –
- With 23,870 registrations; Maharashtra was the No.1 state in terms of passenger vehicle sales for September 2020.
- UP came in second with the overall passenger vehicle registrations of 18,138 units.
- Kerala ranked third and around 17,934 passenger cars were registered in September’20.
- Karnataka emerged the second biggest state in South India with registrations of 15,517 units.
- The Top 10 states contributed to over 73% of the overall country’s registrations!
Statewise Passenger Vehicle Registration Statistics –
- The Passenger Vehicle Registrations saw a increase of 9.8% in September 2020 v/s September 2019.
- While Maharashtra emerged as the biggest state in West India in terms of PV registrations; UP topped in North, Kerala in South and West Bengal in East.
- The highlight has been the spike in registrations in Jammu & Kashmir. The state reported an impressive 220% YoY growth and also enlisted itself in the Top 11 states! The passenger vehicle sales jumped over 3.2 times in Sep’20 v/s Sep’19. No idea how the volumes spiked to these levels! And the trend was similar in other segments too –
- The above numbers do not have figures from AP, MP, LD & TS as all these States/UT’s are not yet on Vahan 4.
- Vehicle Registration Data has been collated as on 06.10.20 and in collaboration with Ministry of Road Transport & Highways, Government of India and has been gathered from 1,254 out of 1,461 RTOs.