Three Wheelers as a category recorded the highest YoY decline in August 2020. The sales dipped a hefty -69.5% in Aug’20 v/s Aug’19. As per the FADA report; only 16,857 three wheelers were sold in Aug’20 against 55,293 units sold in Aug’19.
OEM wise Three Wheelers Sales / Registration Figures –
- Bajaj Auto maintained its Numero Uno spot. However; it registered a fall of -75.7% YoY and its market share declined too by -9.6%.
- Piaggio YoY sales fell by -61.8% and it could sell only 3,688 units in August 2020. It anyhow recorded a Market Share increase of 4.4%.
- Do note that ‘Others including EV’ had the lowest YoY decline and also the highest Market Share increase (9.9%). We expect that the EV’s are rapidly catching up in the 3W space and is reflecting accordingly in the sales volumes.
Statewise Three Wheeler Sales Statistics –
- Bihar was the No.1 state in terms of 3 wheeler sales! Around 3,312 units of 3 wheelers were sold in Bihar alone – which is over 20% of the nation’s 3W sales volumes! Bihar is also one of the biggest markets in India for Electric Three Wheelers.
- Bihar’s neighboring state UP came in a close second and 2,954 three wheelers were sold in August 2020.
- Maharashtra ranked third with sales of 1,513 units. The YoY decline was a mammoth -80.3%.
1- The above numbers do not have figures from AP, AN, MP, LD & TS as all these States/UT’s are not yet on Vahan 4.
2- Vehicle Registration Data has been collated as on 07.09.20 and in collaboration with Ministry of Road Transport & Highways, Government of India and has been gathered from 1,242 out of 1,450 RTOs.