October had 2 biggest festivals of the year – Dussehra & Diwali. It had to be a big month for the Auto Industry as majority of the purchases are skewed in this part of the year. And thankfully it was a positive month – the Industry grew 1.1% in Oct’19 v/s Oct’18 and we anticipate the retails were much more stronger as a lot of OEMs would have gone for Inventory Correction in the month. Almost over 2.84L cars were sold in Oct’19 and saw Maruti sales grow YoY after a very long interval. It was also a month for new launches to scale up their volumes (Seltos, Triber & Hector proved magical for their respective OEMs).
- The Market Leader Maruti Suzuki led the industry growth and grew a nominal 2.3% in Oct’19 v/s Oct’18. Nexa sales however continues to see a downward trend and degrew -7% YoY! However; S-Presso has helped Maruti gain the growth path.
- Hyundai’s volumes are rationalizing with Venue numbers averaging ~9k units. Also Creta facing stiff competition from Seltos has resulted in loss of numbers for the Korean major. Hyundai also experienced a dip in Market Share in Oct’19 v/s Oct’18.
- While Mahindra reported a all time high Retails in Oct’19; the wholesales fell -21% YoY. It also saw the second highest Market Share drop with -1.7% fall.
- Tata has seen tremendous drop in volumes this year and has directly reflected in its falling Market Share – The MS fall was the highest at -1.9% and Tata managed the 4th spot in the ranking table.
- Kia makes a grand entry into the Top 5 and sold a spectacular 12,854 units of Seltos in Oct’19. What Kia has done is nothing short of magic – Selling over 12.8k units of a single model is nothing but an impossible feat. The extensive variant range seems to have worked for the Korean Entrant and the OEM has gained a whopping 4.5% Market Share in just 3rd month of its sales operation!
- Renault topples Honda and placed itself in the 7th spot. Triber has gained acceptance and the New Kwid has supported too. Sustainability shall be the key for the French automaker and we hope they don’t lose focus mid way.
- MG’s strategy has worked wonders for the Chinese giant. Right from pricing to upward supply; the numbers are going strong and is a reflection of increasing customer affinity towards the model.
Market Share figures for Oct’19 –