Federation of Automobile Dealers Association (FADA) has released December’20 Vehicle Registration Data today. We appreciate FADA’s initiative of releasing a further split in vehicle registration data by introducing Small, Medium and Heavy Commercial Vehicle registration details under the Commercial Vehicle category.
- December registrations for the first time in FY20-21 witnesses’ positive growth of 11% (YoY) largely due to festival spill over demand and pre-buying due to announcement of price hike in January’21.
- 2W, PV and Tractor categories grow by 11.8%, 24% and 35.5% (YoY) while CV and 3W continues to degrow by -13.5% and -52.7% (YoY).
Commenting on how December’20 performed, FADA President, Mr. Vinkesh Gulati said, “Automobile registrations for the first time witnessed YoY growth in this Financial Year by growing 11% in the month of December. A good crop season, better offers in 2W segment, new launches both in PV as well as 2W and a fear of price increase in the month of January kept the demand going. Supply side issues in passenger vehicles continued for the 2nd straight month thus making waiting period as high as 8 months in select OEM vehicles.
The CV segment continues to see demand pressure even though on YoY basis the segment fell by 13.5% due to lower base. Increased intra-city goods movement continued to help SCV’s outperform M&HCV segment as Axle load norms, increased fuel & vehicle cost and higher freight rates continued to play spoilsport.
Tractor continues to outshine supply for 6 straight months further confirming the fact that Bharat carries on to lead India’s economic recovery.”
- The above numbers do not have figures from AP, MP, LD & TS as they are not yet on Vahan 4.
- Vehicle Registration Data has been collated as on 09.01.21 and in collaboration with Ministry of Road Transport & Highways, Government of India and has been gathered from 1,270 out of 1,477 RTOs.
- CV is subdivided in the following manner
- LCV – Light Commercial Vehicle (incl. Passenger & Goods Vehicle)
- MCV – Medium Commercial Vehicle (incl. Passenger & Goods Vehicle)
- HCV – Heavy Commercial Vehicle (incl. Passenger & Goods Vehicle)
- Others – Construction Equipment Vehicles and others