Thanks to our readers for the overwhelming response on the Statewise Car Sales report. We received multiple requests to share a similar report for two wheelers as well. We are happy to present the same with this post. The format of the reporting is very similar to our previous post and we have tried to add the additional analysis of the top 2 players in the Industry as a bonus.
Around 95,07,761 Two Wheelers were sold in the first 6 months of previous financial year (Apr’16-Sep’16) – source. The Industry volumes have grown over 10% and have registered a volume of 1,04,96,415 (over 1 crore bikes sold in the first 6 months of FY this year !!!). No wonder, India is the world’s largest two wheeler market.
Statewise & Quarterwise Two Wheeler Sales Data –
- The Chronology of the Top 4 Zones is very similar to that of Passenger Car Sales.
- However, some surprises seen in the Top states in South Zone. While Kerala topped the Car Sales for H1, It ranked 4th in South Zone for Two Wheeler Sales!
- Though TN tops the ranking in South Zone; AP+Telangana is clearly ahead of TN in Two Wheeler Sales!
- The number of Two Wheelers sold in Uttar Pradesh is humongous. It contributes to ~15% of Nations volumes! It also sells >44% more than the next biggest state in terms of Two Wheeler volumes (Maharashtra)!
Ranking of States basis volumes:
- The Top 10 states contributes to >70% of Nation’s Two Wheeler Sales!
- UP sells more two wheelers than Gujarat+AP combined! There is a saying in Indian Politics that the Party which has clear majority in UP can easily win national elections. The scenario is something similar here as well – The OEM with major Market Share in UP has a tremendous competitive advantage.
- The Zone Wise bifurcation Top 5 states is – West Zone (2 states), South Zone (2 states) & North Zone (1 state).
Hero v/s Honda –
This is the most interesting competition the automobile industry will ever witness. We have been extensively covering this topic since a long time. The earlier detailed report on the same could be found here. Post the breakup with Hero, Honda has been very aggressive in terms of network expansion and the surge in Scooter sales have benefited Honda largely. Though Hero Moto Corp sold over 20% more than Honda’s volumes in the first 6 months; Honda has gained lead over Hero in majority states in the Indian market. It is surprising to see that Honda has overtaken Hero Moto Corp in 18 out 33 states in comparison here!
Currently Hero+Honda contribute to over 66% of India’s Two Wheeler Sales. The neck-to-neck competition of these two biggies is a sight to watch. However, the only sore point is that they are playing the game with dated products (Splendor v/s Activa). Any change in the trend will be interesting and how the OEMs respond will be the key differentiator to success.