We have been analyzing statewise car sales statistics for quite some time and here we present the report for the sales of the first 6 months of this financial year; i.e. from Apr’18 to Sep’18. Snippets as below:
- 17,41,234 cars have been sold in the first six months! Pl note that the statistics do not include the big festive months and Dec/Mar sales which are the biggest months in terms of automotive sales. Going by the trend; we expect the passenger car sales in India to go beyond 35 Lakh units for entire FY18.
- West Zone has emerged as the Top Zone and is significantly ahead than the South & North Zone which have been placed No.2 & No.3 respectively.
- Maharashtra retains the No.1 State Rank and contributes to almost 10.5% of national volumes! UP stands second with 8.7% contribution to the sub-continent’s numbers.
Sales Statistics of the States, Zone-wise:
- The Zonewise Toppers are as mentioned: Maharashtra tops West Zone; Kerala for South; Uttar Pradesh for North & West Bengal for East.
- Though East Zone has the highest number of states; the car sales volumes are the least in India. Even the Top Selling State of East; i.e. West Bengal stands in 13th place in terms of overall statewise ranking and contributes to just 3.3% of national volumes. Even the Bottom 7 states belong to East Zone.
Top Selling States Ranking:
We have gone a step further this time and tabulated Maruti’s & Hyundai’s Market Share in the respective states:
- Maruti + Hyundai contribute to ~68% of passenger car sales in India! The Jodi has made the life of other OEMs pretty miserable as the rest of the OEMs have to fight for the remaining pie (30% of market).
- Maruti has an overall market share of 52.2% for H1. Maruti’s dominance is clearly seen in majority of the states – Maruti has a Market Share of >50% in 22 out of 33 states! Maruti enjoys clear majority in North Zone and has a Market Share of whopping 54.2%. Even the weakest Zone – South has a market share of 49.7%.
- Hyundai has a overall Market Share of 15.7%. Hyundai enjoys maximum acceptance in West Zone with 17.1% Market Share!
FY19 v/s FY18 statistics:
- Only 6 out of 33 states have seen dip in volumes for FY19 when compared to FY18. The trend seems positive in the remaining states.