Feb’19 was one of the toughest month’s for the industry and again saw a negative growth (-0.6%). Country’s biggest carmaker Maruti Suzuki reported a flat growth in Feb’19 and has actually lowered its FY19 sales projections seeing the downward trend. Overall Passenger vehicle sales declined owing to weak consumer sentiments, tightening liquidity after the IL&FS crisis and increased insurance costs hampering purchases. With the upcoming BS6 norms and general elections; all OEMs are wary about the slowdown in the market.
- Nexa loses the highest Market Share in Feb’19 and also reported a YoY degrowth of 14%. Apart from Baleno, all other models in its portfolio seems to be slowing down.
- Nissan+Datsun volumes have almost halved! The Japanese conglomerate posted a YoY degrowth of 41.8! The volumes have not grown even post the launch of much anticipated Kicks and the situation is worrisome.
- Mahindra holds the third spot with the help of Marazzo & XUV300.
- Tata Motors regains the 4th spot by dethroning Honda. Harrier launch has given Tata the platform to scale up volumes and reduce the gap with M&M.
- With a low base of Feb’18; Honda could project a staggering growth of 16% YoY. But the Japanese OEM saw a drop of -26% in Feb’19 v/s Jan’19! Honda is launching its global best seller in Mar’19. It’ll be interesting to see on how this model could help revive both Honda’s and segment’s Sales.
A look at Modelwise Sales Figures –
Top 25 selling cars of Feb’19 –
- Alto regains the Numero Uno spot with a big margin. Alto sold over 6k units more than the second ranked Swift.
- Dzire has not only lost the top spot; but has pushed to the 4th position. It suffered a YoY degrowth of -24% and the fall was highest among the Top 10 selling cars.
- Baleno facelift helped it grow 14% and also helped it maintain the Third spot in the rankings table. But Baleno is the sole representation from Nexa in the Top 25 List! Ciaz, S-Cross & Ignis are now out of the top 25 selling cars and emerges as a big concern for Nexa network of dealers.
- New Wagon R has helped the model post 12% YoY growth and places it in the 5th spot.
- i20 was the best selling Hyundai for Feb’19 and ranked 7th. However; the sales dropped -14% YoY for the model.
- Creta is faring really well for Hyundai and sold more units than the much lower priced Grand i10.
- Tiago continues its success run and sold 8,286 units in Feb’19. It is now undoubtedly the backbone of Tata Motors monthly volumes in the subcontinent.
- Ertiga’s numbers have picked up really well and sold 7,975 units in Feb’19 and registered a YoY growth of 72%!
- XUV300 makes an entry at the 20th rank and sold 4,484 units in Feb’19.