We present the Statewise Hatchback Sales Figures for FY2020 and also present the Top 10 Cities in terms of Hatchback Sales for FY2020.
A lot of our readers have asked us to assess the Statewise & Citywise Cars Sales for a very long time. It has been a rather impossible task to collate the statistics for the vast Indian demography and the sheer number of models available on sale in the Indian market. However; we have tried our best to consolidate the data for some segments and we present our first article in terms of Statewise & Citywise Car Sales of FY2020 (Apr’19-Mar’20) for Hatchback Segment. Do note the mentioned points before going through the article –
- The figures reported here are Dispatch Data (cars dispatched from the OEMs to their respective authorized dealers).
- We have considered Mid Hatchback & Premium Hatchback sales figures here. Models in consideration are Baleno, Swift, i20, Grand i10, Glanza, Polo, Jazz, Punto, Figo, Freestyle, Ignis, Bolt, Micra, Altroz & Liva.
- The data shall not be 100% accurate. As these are dealer dispatch data; there may be certain level of deviance. Ex: A dealer may be selling cars in multiple cities; but the dispatch data may be recorded to a central billing outlet.
Let us first see the Statewise Mid + Premium Hatchback Sales Figures for FY2020 –
- Over 6.6 Lakh Mid + Premium Hatchbacks were sold in FY2019-20
- 13% of the cars sold in India were Mid+Premium Hatchbacks!
- Over 70% sales contribution came in from the Top 10 States! Do note that we have considered 33 States+Union Territories in the aforementioned table!
- Gujarat was the Top State in terms of Mid + Premium Hatchbacks Sales. It was undoubtedly the the No.1 market in India in terms of the Hatchback Sales.
- Maharashtra came in 2nd and over 55k Mid + Premium Hatchbacks were sold in the previous FY. Do note that both Gujarat & Maharashtra belong the Western Region of India.
- Uttar Pradesh topped the ranking among the Northern States and ranked 3rd in Overall. Around 53.8k Mid + Premium Hatchbacks were sold here in FY20.
- Kerala was the biggest state in South India in terms of Mid + Premium Hatchbacks sales! It outsold markets like Karnataka & Tamil Nadu in FY2020.
- No Eastern State fared in the Top 10 list. However; surprisingly Assam sold higher number of Mid + Premium Hatchbacks v/s West Bengal!
We also present the visual representation of sales for better analysis here –
Now you may wonder which Hatchback has a higher market share in the respective states. The Top Selling Hatches in the Top Selling States shall give a better picture –
- i20 is the best selling Mid/Premium Hatchback in the Gujarat which is the largest Mid/Premium Hatch market in India! Also note that the Hyundai sibling Grand i10 comes in second. Seems Hyundai has a better stronghold in the Gujarat market, when compared to Maruti Suzuki / Nexa. Baleno & Swift come in third & fourth respectively.
- Baleno is the highest selling model in 4 (Maharastra, UP, Delhi & Rajasthan) out of top 10 selling states! Baleno has infact outsold Swift in FY2020 and goes stronger with every passing year.
- Swift is the best selling Mid/Premium Hatchback in Kerala. Do note that VW registered the highest sale for Polo in Kerala among all other states. Also it is interesting to see Glanza volumes here – Kerala has been one of the biggest market for Toyota India and Glanza sales is a testimony of it (44% of Baleno volumes here). Swift, Glanza & Polo sells highest in Kerala market in India! However; Hyundai has a meagre sales of i20 & i10 here.
- Swift + Baleno combo dominate in the Haryana market too and have a clear lead vis-a-vis i20 & i10 sales.
- Honda’s Jazz recorded the highest sales in Tamil Nadu in FY2020.
Do see the Top 10 Cities in India in terms of Mid/Premium Hatchback sales along with the best selling models –
- Delhi is the biggest city in terms of Mid/Premium Hatchback Sales and is quite ahead of second in line Bangalore! Baleno was the best selling Mid/Premium Hatchback in Delhi for FY2020.
- Around 30,673 Mid/Premium Hatchbacks were sold in Bangalore alone in FY20. This made Bangalore the second largest city in India in terms of Mid/Premium Hatchback sales. The best selling Mid/Premium Hatchback here was Maruti’s Swift.
- Hyderabad ranked 3rd and around 25,806 Mid/Premium Hatchbacks were sold in the last Financial Year. Baleno was the best selling hatchback in Hyderabad and recorded sales of 8,297 units in FY2020.
- i20 was the best selling hatch in Ahmedabad and outsold the likes of Baleno & Swift here.