Around 2,34,142 passenger cars were sold in the Indian market for August 2020. The sales increased by an impressive 19.6% in Aug’20 v/s Aug’19.
August was a lull month last year in terms of dispatches as the dealerships were already reeling with high stock and the channel was readying itself to reduce the BS4 inventory. Hence considering Aug’20 performance on keeping Aug’19 as a base would be unfair. However; it can be clearly highlighted that the dispatches are encouraging and shows OEMs/Dealers preparing positively for the festive season. Aug’20 marked the beginning of festivities with Ganesha Chaturthi & Onam being celebrated particularly in Western & Southern parts of India. Hope the trend continues and both Automakers/Dealer channel see a respite in the rest of 2020!
OEM-wise Sales Snapshot for August 2020 –
- Tata delivered a magical performance in Aug’20. The Indian major grew a stellar 154% YoY and recorded the highest Market Share improvement in Aug’20. Tata’s Market Share shot to 7.9% in Aug’20 v/s 3.7% Market Share in Aug’19.
- Maruti Suzuki is doing everything possible to hold its dominance. The OEM registered a YoY increase of 21.3% and was also able to improve its market share by 0.7% in Aug’20.
- Hyundai has been backed by strong performance of the New Creta and was able to grow a modest 19.9% YoY. It was also able to retain the same market share as last year.
- Kia is on a roll! It has seen a massive jump in Market Share – from 3.2% in Aug’19 to 4.6% in Aug’20. And with the upcoming Sonet Compact SUV; the OEM is all set to gain a better hold on the market.
- Mahindra’s YoY growth was flat and thus lost 1% Market Share. A lot of hopes are now pinned on the New Thar (slated to be launched in Oct’20).
- Toyota registered the highest YoY drop in Aug’20. With Urban Cruiser coming in picture this month; Toyota would have a lot of dependency on Suzuki sourced models!
- MG Motors sold more than Skoda, Nissan & FCA combined in Aug’20! MG recorded a YoY growth of 41% and the volumes was also backed by Hector Plus this year.
Market Share Graph for August’20 –