Mahindra’s dependency on diesel engines was the highest in 2019. Almost 94% of M&M’s sale came from Diesel variants. Mahindra was also India’s largest EV maker and e-Verito emerged as the best selling Electric Passenger Vehicle for 2019.
The reason to compile Mahindra & Ford in this post because M&M’s has bought stake in Ford India’s operation and 2020 shall also see a lot of engine sharing between both the OEMs. Let’s see the Fuel Wise Sales Split for both the OEMs –
- Verito nameplate saw a tremendous shift in EV sales – 76% of the Verito’s sold in 2019 were electric!
- Bolero, Thar, Marazzo, Xylo, Scorpio, TYV300, XUV500 and Alturas were the diesel only models in Mahindra. BS6 transition will have one of the highest impacts on Mahindra as majority of their sales is dependent on diesel models. The impact was seen in Feb’20 volumes where the OEM reported sales of 10,756 units. However; Ford’s tieup & strong inhouse R&D team has given significant advantage to Mahindra to enhance the engine technology and be ready for the transition.
- Petrol Engine options were available only in 2 models – KUV100 and XUV300. While Petrol engine sales was significant for KUV100 (70%); only 26% sales came from Petrol variants for XUV300.
- While Endeavour was the Diesel only model in Ford’s portfolio; Mustang was solely available in Petrol avatar.
- Figo saw 69% of the buyers opting for the petrol variant; while 50% of the Aspire buyers opted for the Diesel variant. The sale of Aspire in Taxi segment has also led to higher diesel sale for the model.
- 64% of Ecosport sold were in diesel variants. Also 43% of Freestyle were diesels.