Around 1.78 Lakh Passenger Vehicles were sold in August 2020 v/s 1.9 Lakh units in August 2019. Passenger Vehicle Registrations topped in Maharashtra and was followed by UP & Gujarat.
As per vehicle registration data published by the FADA, car sales registered negative YoY growth of -7.1% in August 2020. As compared to 1,92,189 units sold in August last year; 1,78,513 units were sold in August2020. Commenting on how Aug’20 performed, FADA President, Mr. Vinkesh Gulati said, “With the start of Festival Season and the Government’s continued effort to open up India, the month of August saw good numbers when compared to immediate previous months. August also saw an arrest in decline and pullback efforts on all fronts were visible, though on YoY, all categories except Tractors continued to fall, though at a slower pace.
Passenger Vehicles after 5 months saw decline reducing to single digit. Customers who were sitting on the fence, finally concluded their purchase during ongoing festivals of Janmashtami and Ganesh Chaturthi. Entry level Passenger Vehicles were in high demand as personal mobility is being preferred with current pandemic showing no signs of reduction.
While OEM’s are dispatching vehicles to Dealers with a purpose of stocking-up inventory for the upcoming festival season, retail sales are still at 70-75% levels despite the low base of last year. FADA has advised extreme caution to all OEMs and Dealer fraternity to avoid excessive Inventory build-up thus leading to unmanageable interest cost which could further result in dealership closures.
The Top 10 states in terms of Car Sales for Aug 2020 is as shown –
- With 23,076 registrations; Maharashtra was the No.1 state in terms of passenger vehicle sales for August 2020.
- UP came in second with the overall passenger vehicle registrations of 18,296 units.
- Gujarat ranked third and around 16,281 passenger cars were registered in August’20.
- Haryana sold more cars than the likes of TN, Delhi, Kerala etc in August 2020!
- Karnataka emerged the biggest state in South India with registrations of 13,350 units.
- The Top 10 states contributed to over 73% of the overall country’s registrations!
Statewise Passenger Vehicle Registration Statistics –
- The Passenger Vehicle Registrations saw a drop of -7.1% in August 2020 v/s August 2019.
- While Maharashtra emerged as the biggest state in West India in terms of PV registrations; UP topped in North, Karnataka in South and West Bengal in East.
- Delhi, J&K, Bihar, Jharkhand, Chattisgarh, Uttarakhand, Tripura & Himachal Pradesh were the only states to report a positive YoY growth in Aug’20 over Aug’19.
- The highlight has been the spike in registrations in Jammu & Kashmir. The state reported an impressive 224% YoY growth and also enlisted itself in the Top 10 states! The passenger vehicle sales jumped over 3.2 times in Aug’20 v/s Aug’19. No idea how the volumes spiked to these levels! And the trend was similar in other segments too –
1- The above numbers do not have figures from AP, AN, MP, LD & TS as all these States/UT’s are not yet on Vahan 4.
2- Vehicle Registration Data has been collated as on 07.09.20 and in collaboration with Ministry of Road Transport & Highways, Government of India and has been gathered from 1,242 out of 1,450 RTOs.