Interesting Facts Series – Tata Motors
Do read our earlier post on the series here – BMW and Toyota.
We shall be covering Interesting Facts pertaining to Tata Motors in this post. Tata Motors Limited, earlier known as Tata Engineering & Locomotive Company (TELCO) is one of the largest Indian automobile maker. It manufactures a variety of automobiles – passenger cars, trucks, vans, coaches, buses, sports cars, construction equipment and military vehicles.
1. Tata Motors is 75 years old, started out as Tata Engineering and Locomotive Company (TELCO) in 1945. It started off in 1945 as a locomotive manufacturer!
2. TELCO’s first trucks bore the Mercedes logo. The company then had a technical collaboration with Daimler Benz.
3. Tata Trucks have been exported for more than 59 years to 45 countries! Their first exports were trucks to Sri Lanka in 1961.
4. In 1969, the Mercedes Benz three-pointed star gave way to the ‘T’ for Tata. Dawn of a new era!
5. Launched in 1986, the Tata 407 transformed the light commercial vehicle space with a frugal Indian built solution.
6. Tata Motors supplies fully armored combat vehicles to the Indian Army.
8. Tata Prima, the ‘World Truck’, competes directly with the Volvos, the Mercedes and the Scanias of the world, not just in terms of design but also in terms of cabin comfort and engine performance.
9. On 27 September 2004, Ratan Tata, the Chairman of Tata Motors, rang the opening bell at the New York Stock Exchange to mark the listing of Tata Motors. Tata Motors also became the first Indian automaker to be listed on the New York Stock Exchange!
11. Tata Motors pioneered the small commercial vehicle industry in 2005 with the launch of Tata Ace. The vehicle revolutionized the last-mile delivery model in the Indian market and was a monster hit. The company sold the first 100,000 units in just 20 months and over 22 Lakh units has been sold till date!
12. Tata Motors acquired the famed Jaguar-Land Rover brand June 2008 for a net consideration of $2.3 billion from Ford Motor Company.