We present the Top 10 cars in India in terms of Safety as rated by Global New Car Assessment Program (GNCAP) agency.
- Safety has been an ignored aspect for a long time in Indian cars. As consumers too; we have been more concerned about the cost and features in a car; rather than our own safety. A total 4,37,396 road accidents were recorded across India in 2019 – which resulted in the death of 1,54,732 people and injuries to another 4,39,262. This statistics is startling and one of the highest in the world!
- Global NCAP under #SaferCarsForIndia programme has tested a range of cars for Adults & Child Occupants Safety over a period of years. We present this report as per the results released of its latest round of crash test.
- As per the Global NCAP ratings – Mahindra XUV300 emerged as India’s Safest Car! The Sub-4m Compact SUV scored five stars for adult occupancy (scoring 16.42/17) and four stars for child occupant protection (scoring (37.44/49). The model also won Global NCAP’s first-ever Safer Choice award.
- Tata Altroz ranked second and was India’s safest hatchback. It received 5-star rating for adult occupant protection (16.13/17) and three stars for child occupant safety (29/49).
- Tata Nexon was the first Indian production car to receive a 5-star in the Global NCAP safety rating and ranked third in this list. The model scored 16.06 out of 17 for adult occupancy and Nexon’s child-occupancy rating is three stars (25/49).
- Mahindra Marazzo ranked fourth in the list and recorded a 4-star rating with scores of 12.85 out of 17 in adult safety and 22.22 out of 49 in child occupancy. Marazzo is hence now India’s Safest MUV/MPV.
- VW Polo with dual airbags managed a 4-star rating for adult-occupant protection (12.54/17) all the way back in 2014 and scored three stars for child occupant protection (29.91/49).
- Tiago & Tigor were Tata’s third presence in the list and with this Tata has the highest number of models in the safest cars category. Tiago/Tigor scored 12.52 out of 17 for adult occupancy and a 3-star child occupancy rating with score of 34.15/49.
- Brezza is the safest Maruti Suzuki offering and rated 4-star for adult occupancy (12.51 out of 17) and two stars for child occupancy (17.93 out of 49).
- Maruti Suzuki Ertiga could garner a rating of 3-star for adult occupancy (9.25/17) and three stars (25.16/49) for child occupancy.
- Ford Figo Aspire got a 3-star rating for adult occupancy (10.49/17) and a 2-star child-occupancy rating (14.22/49). This is the only Ford car in the Top 10 list.
- Renault Duster made it to the Top 10 list with three stars for adult occupant safety (9.0/17) and two stars for child occupant safety (17.75/49).
Indian OEMs made a stellar progress and 4 out of Top 5 were Indian MNCs! We appreciate the way Mahindra & Tata have made major inroads to make their car safer and rank in the top of the safest cars list.