The Top 10 cars sold in 2020 (Jan to Sep) contributed to over 52% of the cars sold in the Indian market! It had 7 models from Maruti+Nexa, 2 from Hyundai & 1 from Kia.
List of Top 10 cars sold in 2020 –
- Alto continues to be India’s best selling car. However; Swift is just 3,218 units behind Alto and is closely following Alto’s lead.
- Baleno too has jumped rankings impressively and sold almost equivalent units to that of Swift! If you include Glanza’s volumes – It would have been India’s No.1 Selling car! (Baleno-96,113 units + Glanza-13,168 units = 1,09,281 units)
- Kia’s Seltos was the only Non-Maruti in the Top 6.
Top 30 Products in 2020 (January-September)
- Those who migrated to shared mobility service (read – Ola/Uber/Meru), earlier, in Metros, have found themselves largely stranded in absence personal mobility during lockdown
- Many of them, who can afford to buy car, seems to be buying new or used cars post lockdown
- High volume of Swift, Baleno and Wagon R, which is quite close to Alto’s volume, seems to reflect trend of pent up demand
- Thus entry level hatchback have lesser volume compared to slightly premium ones
- Incidentally sub-4m SUV don’t have volume advantage over KIA Seltos and Hyundai Creta
- In absence of diesel engine Maruti Dzire (41% mix in 2019) and Vitara Brezza has suffered tremendous volume losses
- Maruti S Presso seems to be not so quite well accepted in the market, even 7 year old Hyundai i20 is doing better
- Hyundai Santro’s second innings is not so successful anymore
- Tata’s updated Tiago, Nexon and all new Altroz are doing quite well
Market Share of Top 30
Body Style of Top 30