Indian Car Sales Figures – June 2012
· 1) Alto back on top; but with a figure less than 30k doesn’t suit it. All thanks to the steepest hike in petrol a month back and also to the weak sentiments among the first time car buyers. But, does that effect Swift/Dzire – a big NO. Both the models with their Diesel variant is bringing the numbers for the company. I’m sure the way Dzire has got the response – if supplied well, would overtake Swift figures someday (we all know how value conscious Indian Market is!). WagonR with a mere ~10k numbers proves the point again – non-availability of a diesel variant can hamper the overall volumes. SX4, A-star & Estilo are almost on their ‘Decline’ stage – the sale of Maruti 800 is more than these models (with only BS3 available)!
· 2) Figo figures is consistently falling down since past 3 months – a BIGG problem for Ford. I believe it is the right time to bring Ecosport in the market. It was just a month back Ford’s 999cc eco-boost engine won the best engine award. Ecosport seems the only option to revive Ford’s fortune (similar to what Figo had done)
· 3) GM has lost its SPARK – quite literally! Even though being such a wonderful proposition Spark volumes remain a disappointment – whom to blame?? Obviously PETROL prices JWhereas Beat (diesel) has been the lifesaver for Chevy.
· 4) It is very awkward to see the Tavera sale going down – right since the Neo BS4 has been launched! The availability of BS4 in Tavera was speculated to boost its volumes, not decrease it!
· 5) There needs to be a serious re-structuring in the Sales Planning team of Honda! The company has seen the most irregular vehicle billing in the past 15 months. Hard to digest Jazz and Brio doing mere ~600 numbers.
· 6) Scorpio numbers is the lowest in past 13 months! This has happened in a month where the mighty muscular celebrated its decade of dominance – its 10th Birthday. Verito numbers @ 444 leaves us thinking about the possibility of a new model coming in the future. XUV 500 puts the C+ sedans to shame with the numbers it’s achieving (in the same price point).
· 7) i20 overtaking i10 sales – Possible? Surely YES! And that too with a hefty 1500 difference JReason – As mentioned earlier, thanks to our Petroleum Minister. And even the fluidic Verna is 240 odd numbers behind i10!
· 8) Tata figures have nothing to talk about except disappointment. Aria does lesser than a only-petrol available CR-V. Indica & Indigo family has seen its worst performance in the year. Nano is still in its search of finding its true identity. The only breather remains Sumo which backed with Sumo Gold variant has done an average figure of over 2300 offtake.
· 9) Did someone mention the uniqueness of the Indian Car Market??? If not then analyze this – Fabia numbers is lower than that of Laura & Rapid! And Rapid volumes is higher than that of its older sibling Vento!
· 10) Nissan shines with its Sunny side again. Not to mention its excellent ~3000 offtake.
· 11) In a country obsessed with mileage, Audi Q3 garners 500 bookings in just 5 days! With this Audi becomes the fastest growing luxury brand in India and also the world. The German luxury carmaker has reported a 43 per cent growth in sales during the first half of the year, with total sales of 4,000 cars in the January to June 2012 period. In the corresponding period last year, Audi India had clocked sales of 2,802 units.
A list of Top 20 Brands of the month –