Indian Car Sales Figures – May 2015
May 2015 was a slow month for the Indian Auto Industry and the increased fuel prices had a negative impact on the consumer sentiments as well.
See how the OEM’s fared in May’15:
The new launches in May’15 primarily were Tata Nano GenX and updated Mahindra XUV 500 which fueled the volumes for both the respective brands. Dispatches for Celerio Diesel also started last month. However, we have some big ticket launches apart from Celerio Diesel scheduled in June & July – S Cross from Maruti (will add the portfolio in Maruti’s premium dealer brand named Nexa), Honda Jazz, VW Vento facelift, etc.
Brand Wise sales and YoY comparison:
– Celerio overtaking Eon’s numbers – Welcome India’s cheapest diesel and most fuel-efficient car!
– Can AMT revive Nano’s fortune? – Only the GenX will tell 🙂
– Datsun GO plunges – Nissan’s strategy to bring back the carline strongly among the prospects seems to see a roadblock.
– Elite i20 garners >10k numbers for the fourth consecutive time in past 4 months! Hyundai has proved its mettle yet again.
– Grand i10 crosses 10k figures after 13 long months – the last time it had achieved over 10k offtake was in Mar’14!
– Bolt only 716 units? Tata Motors still figuring out on how to crack the Indian Consumer Psyche
– City yet again tops the charts with 7562 units – Ciaz gives a tough fight at 5012 units. We can surely term it as the ‘Clash of Titans’.
– Vento only 33 units – VW is planning to launch the facelift on June 23.
– Corolla, Octavia, Jetta and Camry have shown growth but are still behind the volumes the segment deserves.
– Lodgy overtaking Duster’s volumes – can Lodgy prove that Renault will no longer be a one-brand (Duster) dependent OEM? But Duster’s downfall in May’15 is not appreciable (hope it is just a resultant of production constraint to support Lodgy’s production).
– The updated XUV 500 did raise some eyebrows and has garnered positive feedback from the experts – hope it acts as a catalyst and supports the brand’s numbers.
Look at the Top 10 selling cars (excludes SUV’s/MUV’s)