Management Punditz has been consistently studying the Indian Automotive Market and are pleasantly surprised by the complexity seen in the past few years. India is termed a sub-continent for a reason – its size, population, variety, culture and demographics is multifaceted. Though we have been analyzing the car sales data for the entire country, we start our regional study with this post by reviewing the Top 10 cars sold in the Top 10 cities of South India. We had a specific reason to start with South India –
* South India contributes to over 28% of the overall National Sales Volumes!
* Bangalore, Hyderabad, Chennai and Kochi – 4 cities from South rank in Top 10 car selling cities in India (source).
* The contribution of the states in South India is very similar – Karnataka stands highest and contributes to 27% of South’s sales, Kerala @ 26%, TN @ 25% and AP+Telangana @ 22%.
We have prepared a trend-wise chart (2012 to YTD 2015) of the Top 10 selling Brands to extract a clear picture. The sales data is presented by highlighting the All India Sales and then divided to South with further division to the respective states and later cities. Let’s see the statistics –
ANDHRA PRADESH + TELANGANA
Points to Note (considering 2015 YTD numbers):
> While the Top 3 selling cars predominantly remain from the Maruti stable – Do see how Dzire easily takes the TOP slot in multiple markets. Also to be considered – Swift ranks no.1 in markets such as Cochin, Mangalore and Bangalore!
> Indica sells more than Alto in Chennai! Also Indica ranks 8th in South India ranking! Taxi effect probably (or say Ola!)
> City’s sales is higher than Grand i10, Indica and i20 sales in TN.
> Bolero, which is India’s best selling SUV is absent in the aforementioned rankings (except Coimbatore) – low brand equity for the SUV in South? Also, only XUV 500 remains the only other Mahindra product to feature in the Top 10 ranking (ranked 10th in Cochin).
> No. 4 rank is a surprise in many markets – Indica ranks 4th in Hyderabad, Grand i10 for AP+Telangana, Alto in Chennai, City in Coimbatore, Celerio in Calicut.
> Innova’s sales in South is highest amongst all 4 Zones (South/North/East/West). South contributes to 38% of National Innova sales. Case is similar to Etios as well – South contributes to over 53% of overall Etios sales!
Oct’15 Top 10 statistics is also interesting for many markets:
– Baleno makes an entry in Top 10 figures of Vizag, Cochin, Calicut, Coimbatore & Mangalore. It has even surpassed i20 sales in many markets as well!
– South contributed to over 30% of Kwid’s sales – effect seen in multiple city statistics of South.
– S-Cross sold more than Creta in Hyderabad (Oct’15)
– Ford’s Figo and Aspire makes an entry in the Top10 slot in many markets!
No wonder many new OEMs entering the Indian market are finding it difficult to decode the success mantra! Do note that only Maruti has been able to consistently perform in ALL markets and is hence the Market Leader.