Hyundai and Kia sold a combined 3,15,532 SUVs in 2020 and had a collective Market Share of 48.7%. Creta & Seltos emerged as the best selling SUVs for the respective OEMs.
- Hyundai emerged as India’s Biggest SUV manufacturer and commanded a Market Share of ~28% in 2020!
- It was closely followed up by its sibling Kia Motors. Kia outsold the likes of Mahindra & Maruti in terms of SUV sales and ranked second in the table.
- Mahindra seats itself in the third spot and sold 1.3 Lakh SUVs in the year 2020. M&M which was once known to be ‘The Maruti of SUV segment’ as it had >50% Market Share in the segment – has lost significantly to the new entrants in the segment (Hyundai/Maruti/Kia).
- Maruti’s performance in the segment is largely dependent on Brezza. As the model shed its Diesel engine; the loss of sales was significantly higher. Even S-Cross & Gypsy couldn’t contribute much.
- Tata ranked 5th in the table and had 2 SUVs on sale in 2020 – Nexon & Harrier. With the 2021 Safari stepping in; will Tata strengthen its presence in the segment?
A look at the Top 10 Selling SUVs of 2020 –
|Rank||OEM||Model||CY 2020||CY 2019||YoY (%)|
- Hyundai Creta was the best-selling SUV in India with sales of 96,989 units in the year 2020.
- Kia Seltos was just 57 units short of Creta and ranked second. Seltos has had a splendid journey in the Indian market and single handedly established Kia as a prominent SUV maker in India.
- Maruti’s Brezza ranked third with dispatches of over 83.6k units in 2020. It was also India’s best selling Sub-4m Compact SUV for 2020. However; it degrew a hefty -34.2% YoY and lacks a diesel engine in its portfolio.
- Hyundai’s Venue followed Brezza closely and ranked 4th in the table.
- The Top 10 models had 2 models from Hyundai, 2 from Kia, 1 from Maruti, 3 from Mahindra 1 from Tata and 1 from Ford.