Mahindra Three Wheelers struggled due to the delay in launching the BS6 avatar of its flagship three wheeler brand Alfa. Hence OEMs like Atul Auto & TVS gained clear lead over M&M in Three Wheeler Sales.
OEM wise Three Wheelers Sales / Registration Figures –
- Bajaj Auto maintained its Numero Uno spot. However; it registered a fall of -64% YoY and its market share declined too by -5.3%.
- Piaggio YoY sales fell by -49% and it could sell only 5,394 units in September 2020. It anyhow recorded a Market Share increase of 4.3%.
- Rajkot based Atul Auto stood third in the list and fared better than the likes of TVS & Mahindra!
- Due to Covid19 led Supply Chain disruptions; M&M could launch the BS6 range of three wheelers only in Oct’20. This has led to the OEM losing its third spot in the category & Mahindra lost pretty significant Market Share as well.
- Do note that ‘Others including EV’ had the lowest YoY decline and also the highest Market Share increase (15.8%). We expect that the EV’s are rapidly catching up in the 3W space and is reflecting accordingly in the sales volumes.
Statewise Three Wheeler Sales Statistics –
- Bihar was the No.1 state in terms of 3 wheeler sales too! Around 4,776 units of 3 wheelers were sold in Bihar alone – which is almost 20% of the nation’s 3W sales volumes!
- Bihar’s neighboring state UP came in a close second and 3,942 three wheelers were sold in Sep 2020.
- West Bengal ranked third with sales of 1,941 units.
- The above numbers do not have figures from AP, MP, LD & TS as all these States/UT’s are not yet on Vahan 4.
- Vehicle Registration Data has been collated as on 06.10.20 and in collaboration with Ministry of Road Transport & Highways, Government of India and has been gathered from 1,254 out of 1,461 RTOs.