January 2014 Sales Figures – Pan India
· Jan’14 sales figures is surely gonna be shielded from the upcoming Auto Expo. It is astonishing to observe the investments made by the Auto companies in new products during the downturn – a clear sign on how the newer products would define the future. With over 70 new launches planned in all segments, the Indian Auto Expo would be emerge to be one of the most important Auto Exhibitions in the world!
· January 2014 continued the trend and disappointed us in overall. However, the Japanese ruled the roost (name Honda, Maruti Suzuki & Nissan) and had a good run in the first month of the year.
· The current scenario has taught an important lesson to all automobile manufacturers – Agility and Product offensive is the key to success. OEM who have adapted to the aforementioned philosophy would sail the tide successfully – Honda exactly showed how it needs to be done! Firstly a diesel engine for Indian market in Amaze and then an Amazing price for the Diesel City – rightly a breakthrough combination for the Japanese major. City clearly emerges the leader of the segment and overtakes the rival Verna with a huge margin. Need to appreciate the readiness of Honda in terms of supplying over 7k City’s within first month. Amaze maintains the momentum – and delivers 7398 units in Jan’14 as well. The compact Sedan market is surely on fire – expect more traction in the segment with new launches (name Zest by Tata, Xcent by Hyundai, Figo Sedan by Ford).
· Maruti makes no mistake to become the market leader again. It’ll also emerge as the technology leader with the launch of ‘Celerio’ – Automated Manual Transmissions would be firstly bought on the Indian soil with this crucial launch. The eZdrive is being promoted aggressively and is surely catching the fancy of the urbane Indian driver who wants the luxury of an automatic at an entry-level price. Swift & Dzire twins maintain the good run and seems uncatchable by any competition. Ertiga still seems shaky and would have to see how successful it would be in coming months. Ritz is slowly losing its sheen and with Celerio pitching in would deteriorate further.
· Hyundai has left no stone unturned in terms of making the ‘Grand i10’ a GRAND success. Over 50k units shipped within the first 6 months of its launch is no small feat! Eon jumps back to over 7k figures and puts an impressive show. Verna is successful in posting 3803 nos – would be interesting to see the rivalry heating up with the launch of Diesel City! i10 & i20 need to buckle up as it is losing numbers to Grand.
· Another segment which had a great run in Jan’14 was entry level SUV – right from Ecosport to Scorpio, Duster to Terrano posted positive numbers. Happy to see the segment gaining steadily. Duster + Terrano combinedly delivers over 6k units! XUV crossed 3.5k mark after 12 longgg months! Ecosport produced ~3.9k numbers for Ford – need to focus more on Domestic demand rather than exports.
· Tata sees some traction in Nano with the launch of Twist and posts an offtake of 2250 units.
· Fiat has a surprise run – Punto posts over 1k offtake after 22 months. Surely has more to offer considering the hatcback’s potential. Linea couldn’t gain much on its stripped down variant and has a lackluster performance.
Game changing production focused Cars to be expected at the 2014 Auto Expo –
o Zest (new compact sedan)
o Bolt (new hatchback)
o Go hatchback
o New Jazz
o Adra (compact SUV)
o New Fiesta
o New Figo Sedan
o RE60 based city car
o Ciaz sedan
o Punto Cross (Avventura)
Refresh showcase planned for Beat, Sunny, Corolla, Santa Fe, Fluence, Koleos.