Two Wheeler Registrations saw a dip of -12.6% in Sep’20 v/s Sep’19. Around 10.16 L two wheelers were sold in India for Sep 2020 v/s sales of 11.63 L units in Sep 2019.
OEM wise Two Wheeler Retails / Registrations for September 2020 –
- Majority OEMs reported a sales decline in September 2020.
- Hero Motocorp was the Market Leader with 33.72 Market Share in Sep’20.
- The gap between Honda & Hero is widening with every passing month. With heavy dependency on scooters; Honda is losing the race as the rural markets are preferring motorcycles. Honda registered the highest market share fall in Sep’20 among the Top 3 Two Wheeler OEMs.
- TVS ranked third in the list and its sales fell by -8.9% YoY. The OEM however gained 0.6% Market Share.
- We are happy to see Jawa Motorcycles volumes being reported here. Jawa sold 2,121 units and its sales increased 42.2% YoY! Going by absolute volumes; Jawa has a long way to go to give real competition to Royal Enfield. RE sales were over 19 times that of Jawa in Sep 2020! We now also have Honda entering the segment in a big way with the Hness 350.
- Another trend to note is the EV sales – The EV Two Wheelers grew by 50.1% in Sep’20 v/s Sep’19. The acceptance of EVs is slowly gaining and is reflecting in the volumes. However; the overall share is still way below expected levels. Do go through our detailed article on Electric 2W Sales – here
- Inventory for 2W dealers currently stands at 45-50 days- Any dampener in vehicle sales during the upcoming festivals will have a catastrophic impact on Dealers financial health.
- The above numbers do not have figures from AP, MP, LD & TS as all these States/UT’s are not yet on Vahan 4.